Print Friendly, PDF & Email

By-Law Enforcement Department


Municipal Law Enforcement Officers

Municipal Law Enforcement Officers are appointed by Council under the provisions of the Police Services Act and various other Provincial Statutes to enforce local municipal by-laws and some Provincial Statutes. Their areas of enforcement include:

  • Dogs
    • Enforcing dog licensing
    • Responding to complaints of dogs barking or of stray dogs
    • Impounding dogs
  • Issuing and enforcement of:
  • Enforcement of:
    • Handicapped parking and other parking restrictions
    • Property Standards in order to clear yards of inoperative vehicles, debris or long grass
    • Noise restrictions – Noise by-law exemption application form
    • Zoning By-Law
    • Investigating cases of littering

Dog and the Law

The Nation Municipality requires dog owners to comply with the Animal Control By-law aimed at reducing conflicts between dogs, their owners and other members of the community.

Animal control

Dog Registration

Dogs kept within the limits of the Nation Municipality must be registered at the municipality every year. The annual fee prior to March 31st of each year is $20.00. The annual fee after March 31st of each year is $25.00.  If the annual fee is unpaid by August of every year, the $25.00 will be added to the final property tax payment. The option of being invoiced through property taxes applies to property owners and not tenants.  Effective January 1st, 2022, annual fees will be increased to $30.00 per dog prior to March 31st of each year and to $50.00 after March 31st of each year.

Dog tags renewals

Dog tags issued from the year 2018 and onward are valid until December 31st 2027. Dog tags issued prior to 2018 are no longer valid.

For new registrations:

Fill out the application form below and we will send you the invoice and dog tag by the mail.

Updates to account

If you wish to add or remove a dog from your account, please fill out the form below and we will update your account.

Make a payment

We accept cash, Interac, cheques payable to The Nation Municipality, or online through a banking institution or our website. For more information, please visit the e-Billing & e-Payment page located on our website.


Why register your dog(s)? The dog tag, and the information associated to it, allow us to bring the dogs back to their owner in a quick and efficient manner. They also allow us to contact the dog owner in case of an emergency so they can make vital decisions regarding the care of the dog.

Dog Tag Registration and Account Update Form

  • Please pick one of the two choices.
    If registering for first time, please fill out information below. If updating account, go to end of form for the Update Account Section.
  • MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • MM slash DD slash YYYY
  • MM slash DD slash YYYY
    If adding a dog, please fill out section Dog #1, if removal of dog, fill out the section below.
  • Please write the name, and breed of dog to be removed from your account.

Dog Kennel Application Form

Stray Dogs

A dog is considered to be a stray dog if found in any place other than the premises of the dog’s owner and not under the control of a responsible person.

Stray dogs may be seized and impounded by the Municipality. Impound fees must be paid before the dog is released to its owner.

Supervise your dog at all times. Stray dogs may injure themselves or may become lost. They may also attack livestock, wildlife, other dogs or people. Under the Dog Owner’s Liability Act, the Court may order that the dog be strictly controlled or even destroyed if it has attacked or bitten.

Barking Dogs

Barking dogs may disturb the peace and quiet of persons in the neighbourhood. Owners of dogs that bark in this way are in violation of the Animal Control By-law. Respond immediately to your dog’s barking and do not let it continue. Barking or whining is your dog’s way of communicating. Ensure that your dog’s basic needs are met:

  • Food
  • Water
  • Shelter
  • Companionship

Train your dog not to bark needlessly.

Stoop & Scoop

Failure to pick up after your dog is a municipal by-law offence.

Rabies Vaccination

It is mandatory for all dogs and cats kept within the limits of The Nation Municipality to be vaccinated against Rabies. Contact your veterinarian or visit the annual Rabies Clinic, normally held every September by the Eastern Ontario Health Unit.


Fire Permits

Planning on lighting an outdoor fire? Take a look at the Open Air Burning By-Law 84-2004.

General information

If you intend to light an outdoor fire with a flame base larger than 1 square metre, you must obtain a fire permit beforehand.

Applying for a fire permit

Please complete this fire permit application and return it to:

The Nation Municipality

958 Route 500 West
Casselman ON K0A 1M0

or by e-mail at

Please ensure that the section of the application entitled ‘At the location described as’ contains detailed information about the intended location of the fire, so that the Municipality may carry out an inspection of the site.

What happens next?

Once the completed application form is received by the Municipality, a By-law Enforcement Officer will visit the intended location to ensure that the fire can be lit safely and that the intended location conforms to the terms of the By-law. The Officer may issue the permit, issue the permit with conditions, or refuse to issue the permit.  Please allow 48 hours for an application to be processed.

Reasons for refusing to issue a fire permit

The By-law Enforcement Officer will refuse to issue a fire permit under one or more of the following conditions:

  • The intended location of the fire is less than 50 metres from a neighbouring dwelling.
  • The intended location of the fire is less than 150 metres from a wooded area without snow cover.
  • Weather conditions are too dry to allow for safe burning.
  • The smoke from the intended fire might create a danger to vehicular traffic.
  • The intended fire may burn out of control or present some other danger.

After the fire permit is issued

There is a fee of $25 for the permit.  Payment can be made in person at The Nation’s office or you can send a check by mail.  The applicant will receive a fire permit that must be present at the location of the fire while the fire is burning. Before lighting the fire, the applicant must telephone 1-888-870-8883 to advise the fire dispatch centre that they will be lighting a fire for which a permit has been issued. The dispatch centre will have already received a copy of the permit from the By-law Enforcement Officer.

What can’t be burned?

Whether a fire permit is required or not, it is prohibited to burn the following:

Tires, plastic, rubber or petroleum products.
Grass, weeds or other vegetation rooted in the ground.

The burning of ditches, lawns and fields is prohibited. These types of fires are the most difficult to control and pose the highest danger of spreading. Smoke from the burning of roadside ditches creates a hazard for vehicular traffic.

Please be advised that there will no longer be free fire permits during the winter months. Fire permits are $25.00 for one month.

For more information, please contact: Nicole Paquette at 613.764.5444 ext. 260 or by email at


Lottery Licenses

The Criminal Code*

Section 206 makes it an indictable offence to participate in a lottery scheme in any manner. However, Section 207 provides an exemption for charitable and religious organizations to organize lotteries, provided that they are issued a license by the appropriate provincial authority.

The Role of Municipalities*

Municipalities have the authority to issue licenses for the majority of lotteries in their communities, including bingo licenses up to a $5,500 prize board, raffles up to $50,000, and most break open ticket lotteries.

Eligibility Guidelines – Questionnaire*

The following questions may be used to help assess the eligibility of the organization applying for a lottery license:

1. Which of the following four charitable objectives does the organization correspond to?

a) The relief of poverty;
b) The advancement of education;
c) The advancement of religion; or
d) Any other charitable purpose(s) beneficial to the community that does not fall under a, b or c.

If none of the above, the organization’s objectives should not be considered charitable.

2. Is the organization authorized to provide charitable services in Ontario and use the proceeds for objects or purposes that benefit Ontario residents?
3. Do the organization’s activities and their intended outcomes exclude or deny the benefits of these activities to any segment of the community?
4. Do the organization’s fundraising activities benefit a significant portion of the community?
5. Is the organization set up in such a way as to be considered independent of any other organization (legally, financially, administratively)?
6. Has the organization been in operation for at least one year and does it have a charitable mandate?
7. Is there a person or persons who will assume full responsibility for the event?
8. What will the proceeds of the event be used for and is the intended use consistent with the organization’s charitable objectives?
9. Does the organization have a place of business in Ontario?

*Entertainment Standards Branch, Lottery Licensing Policy Manual

Event Definition Terms and Conditions Application and Report Form Municipal Lottery Licensing Fees
BAZAAR A fundraising sale of goods, typically for charity, which may include any combination of the following lotteries:
a) A raffle not exceeding $500 in prizes
b) A bingo not exceeding $500 in prizes
c) A maximum of three Wheel of Fortunes with a maximum $2 bet
Bazaar Terms and Conditions Wheel of Fortune: $10.00 per wheel per day
Bingo: 3% of proposed prize
Raffle: 3% of proposed prize
BINGO A game in which players mark off numbers on cards as the numbers are drawn randomly by a caller, the winner being the first person to mark off five numbers in a row or another required pattern. Bingo Terms and Conditions 3% of proposed prize
BREAK OPEN TICKET LOTTERY A break open ticket is a device made of cardboard with perforated-cover window tabs behind which are symbols revealed by tearing open the cover tab. The winning combination of symbols appear on the back of the ticket. Break Open Ticket Terms and Conditions 3% of proposed prize
RAFFLE A means of raising money by selling numbered tickets, one or some of which are subsequently drawn at random, the holder or holders of such tickets winning a prize. Types of raffles include 50/50 draws, elimination draws, calendar draws, sports raffles and rubber duck races. Raffle Terms and Conditions 3% of proposed prize
BLANKET RAFFLE LICENSE A blanket raffle license allows eligible organizations to obtain a single lottery license to conduct and manage more than one type of raffle event within a fixed time period and from one location, with a capped total prize amount of $5,000. 3% of proposed prize

To apply for a lottery license, please complete the application form and send it to the following address:

The Nation Municipality

958 Route 500 West
Casselman ON K0A 1M0

What happens next?

Please complete the report form and mail or deliver in person to The Nation Municipality within 30 days after the event has taken place.

For more information

Please visit the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario’s web site at . You will find more information about Section 206 and 207 of the Criminal Code by following this link:



General Information

Noise is defined as unwanted sound or sounds likely to disturb the inhabitants of The Nation Municipality.

How much noise is too much noise?

Determining how much noise is too much noise can be complicated. People differ in their tolerance for noise; some are more sensitive to noise than others. Other factors must also be considered when determining whether a particular noise is disturbing or not. These factors include the time of day the noise occurs, the duration of the noise, and the location of the noise. For example, a Weed Eater being operated at 2:00 p.m. might not be considered bothersome, whereas the same machinery being operated at 2:00 a.m. would likely generate complaints.

The municipal Noise By-law recognizes the need for flexibility and has established different levels of acceptable noise for different situations. The by-law prohibits noise from the following activities between 11:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.: blowing horns, yelling, shouting, singing, whistling, construction, trade, loading and unloading of materials, and mowing lawns.

What can I do if I am disturbed by noise?

Try to resolve the matter

Noise problems can often be resolved in a courteous fashion without involving municipal staff. If you feel comfortable doing so, approach the person making the noise and talk to them about your concerns. They may be completely unaware that they are creating a disturbance.

Become informed

In addition to reading the information on this page, read the municipal By-Laws governing noise. The Animal Control By-law governs barking or howling dogs; the Noise By-law governs all other types of noise. The by-laws will tell you what types of noise are permitted and during which hours.

Call the Municipal By-law Enforcement Officer

If you are not comfortable resolving the issue on your own, or if your attempts fail, call the Municipal By-law Enforcement Officer at 613-764-5444. Since noise is defined as disturbing a resident, you must provide your name, address, and phone number when making a complaint involving noise.

Before calling the By-law Enforcement Officer, be prepared to give a detailed and accurate description of the problem including:

  • What type of activity is causing the noise?
  • What type of equipment or tool(s) is being used?
  • What days and what time of day is the noise occurring?
  • How long has the noise been a problem?
  • What efforts have you made to resolve the issue?
  • What are some possible solutions?

Enforcement Action

A Municipal By-law Enforcement Officer will investigate the situation. If the Officer determines that there is a violation of the Noise By-law, the Officer will send a notice. Please be advised that the Officer will ask that a witness statement form be completed if the noise continues.

Need an exemption for an event?

The Noise By-law allows the granting of exemptions for specified time periods up to six months in duration by resolution of the Municipal Council. Persons wishing to obtain an exemption must submit an application to the Municipality. Before deciding on whether to grant the exemption, Council will give the applicant as well as any person opposed to the exemption an opportunity to be heard. Council may also grant an exemption with certain terms and conditions attached that must be respected.

Noise By-law Exemption Application



Parking is prohibited under the following circumstances whether signs have been erected or not:

  • In or within 6 metres of an intersection
  • Within 3 metres of a fire hydrant
  • On or partly over a sidewalk
  • On or within 6 metres of a crosswalk
  • In front of a church during a funeral service
  • In any manner that obstructs traffic (includes double parking)
  • Obstructing a private entrance
  • On a bridge
  • For the purpose of selling a vehicle
  • During snow removal and street sweeping operations
  • On streets between 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. from November 1st until April 1st

Defaulted parking fines and denial of plate renewal

General Information

In Ontario, the registered plate holder is normally held legally responsible for most parking infractions associated with any vehicle bearing the plate holder’s license plate. If a fine is not paid, the Court may order the Ministry of Transportation to deny the renewal of plate registration or the issuance of a new permit to the plate holder.

Denial of plate renewal (Plate Denial)

A “PLATE DENIAL” Court order requires the Ministry of Transportation to deny the plate holder:

  • The renewal of the validation sticker of the license plate associated with the defaulted fine
  • A refund or credit for the return of any validated plates except to pay the defaulted fine amount owing
  • The option of ordering or reordering “Own Choice” plates
  • The option of obtaining or attaching other plates when the plate associated with the defaulted fine becomes inactive or is not renewed UNTIL THE DEFAULTED FINE AMOUNT OWING IS PAID

Payment of Defaulted Parking Fines

Defaulted parking fines reported to the Ministry of Transportation can be paid at any Driver and Vehicle License Office.



Signs By-Law 22-2018

General Information

With a few exceptions, if you intend to install a sign larger than 0.28 square metres (3 square feet) you must first obtain a sign permit from the Municipality.

Applying for a sign permit

Fill out the application form.

The completed application form and two copies of plans for the proposed sign including size, content, and location must be submitted to the Municipal Law Enforcement Department along with the permit fee ($100) and the performance deposit ($1,000).

Please note that the performance deposit will be refunded once the sign is installed in compliance with the permit.

What happens next?

The application will be verified by the following departments;

  • The Building Department, to determine whether a building permit is required
  • The Zoning Department, to verify that the location and size of the sign complies with the Zoning By-law
  • The Municipal Law Enforcement Department, to verify that the content and nature of the sign comply with the Sign By-law.

Location, Location, Location

The Sign By-law prohibits the placement of signs on public road easements, on public property under the jurisdiction of the municipality, or by nailing, riveting, screwing or drilling holes into posts on public property.

If you intend to install a sign within the road allowance of a county road, you will be required to include written permission from the United Counties of Prescott & Russell with your application.

With a few exceptions, all signs must be at least 3 metres (10 feet) from a public road allowance and 1.5 metres (5 feet) from adjacent property lines.


Except for the company name, all contents of new commercial signs must be bilingual. The dimensions and style of lettering must be identical in English and French.

Prohibited Content

The Sign By-law prohibits the following content:

  • Skeletons, skull and crossbones, or any other gruesome image
  • Nude human body, erotic or pornographic scenes
  • Shapes or colours that could be mistaken for traffic lights or traffic signs

Application For Permit To Install Sign or Billboard



What you should know about watering with municipal water

Water Usage By-law 63-2020

It’s the Law

The Nation Municipality prohibits the use of water from municipal water works for the purpose of watering lawns, gardens, flowers, hedges, or any other vegetation outside any building between May 1st and September 30th of any year.


  • Persons located at odd numbered buildings hall be permitted to water lawns, gardens, flowers, hedges or any other vegetation outside on Tuesday, Thursdays and Saturdays between 7 p.m. and 10 p.m
  • Persons located at even numbered buildings shall be permitted to water lawns, gardens, flowers, hedges or any other vegetation outside on Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 7 p.m. and 10 p.m.
  • No outside watering will be permitted on Sundays.
  • Persons watering manually are permitted to water at any time.

Declaration of Total Ban on Watering

The Municipality may suspend any or all of the above exceptions in the event of an emergency, such as drought, equipment failure, or strain on water resources caused by a major fire. When and if the exceptions are suspended, a notice will be sent to all affected residents by bulk mail.



What type of information is required in a Location Plan?

Location plans shall be drawn to scale, be legible, and indicate the nature and extent of the work in sufficient detail to establish that the completed work will conform the applicable law.

The Permit process, Step by Step:

  • Submit application.
  • Wait. The review process may take a few days or weeks depending on the project and on workload.
  • Receive results of the review. If the project is in compliance with building and zoning regulations, a permit will be issued. If denied, you can make the required revisions to the application and resubmit.
  • Receive Permit. Once the fees are paid, construction can begin according to revised plans.
  • Call for inspections. Each building project has to be inspected at different stages.

Is there a cost?

The permit fee is $20.00

To apply for a fence license, please print and complete the application form and send it to the following address:

The Nation Municipality

958 Route 500 West
Casselman ON K0A 1M0
Fence Application Form


Trails, Hunting and firearms

The Nation Municipality does not issue ATV Club permits for trails.

For more information about trail permits and available trails in Eastern Ontario, please visit the ATV Club of Eastern Ontario’s website.

Firearm discharge

For complete details on provincial hunting regulations, follow this link.


Submitting a Complaint

If you wish to submit a complaint by email, please do so by completing the form found through the link below. All complaints are confidential and will be reviewed and answered within 24 hours, then filed accordingly.


If your litigation escalates to a court of law, please complete and sign the disclaimer form and send it to our office at the following address:

The Nation Municipality

958 Route 500 West
Casselman ON K0A 1M0

Mario Hautcoeur
Manager, Municipal Law Enforcement
613-764-5444 ext. 223

Jeff Bérubé
By-Law Enforcement Officer
613-764-5444 ext. 262

Vanessa Brisson
By-Law Enforcement Officer
613-764-5444 ext. 262

Nicole Paquette
Administrative Secretary
613-764-5444 ext. 260