The Nation Municipal Ward Boundaries Review
During the Council meeting on August 26th, 2019, The Nation Municipal Council agreed to move forward with Watson & Associates Economists LTD for the review of The Nation Municipality’s ward boundaries.
Watson & Associates Economists LTD will:
- Develop a clear understanding of the present ward system in The Nation, including its origins and operations as a system of representation;
- Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the present system;
- Develop and conduct an appropriate consultation process to ensure community support for the review and its outcome;
- Prepare population projections for the development and evaluation of alternative electoral structures for the 2022, 2026 and 2030 municipal elections;
- Write and deliver a report that will set out alternative ward boundaries to ensure effective and equitable electoral arrangements for The Nation.
Work Plan (Tentative dates)
Task 1 – Project initiation, Information Gathering and Research (October-November 2019)
Task 2 – Interviews with the Mayor, Council and School Boards (November 2019)
Task 3 – Compilation of Existing Housing and Population Structure and Forecast Growth Modelling (November 2019)
Task 4 – Evaluation of the Existing Ward Structure (December 2019)
Task 5 – Development of Preliminary Ward Boundary Alternatives (December 2019-January 2020)
Task 6 – Public consultation (January 2020)
Task 7 – Finalization of Alternatives (February-March 2020)
Task 8 – Preparation of Report (March-April 2020)
If you have any questions, please contact Josée Brizard CAO-Clerk by phone at 613-764-5444 ext. 235, or by email at email@example.com.